JOB SUMMARY: Pipefitters are responsible for performing lay out, fabrication, assembly, installation and maintenance of piping systems, pipe supports, fixtures, and equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, and other commercial HVAC systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Selects type and size of pipe and related materials and equipment, such as supports and hangers, according to job specifications.
- Inspects worksite to determine presence of obstructions.
- Plans sequence on installation to avoid obstructions and activities of other trades.
- Cuts pipe using hacksaw, pipe cutter, hammer and chisel, cutting torch, grinder, and pipe cutting machine.
- Threads pipe using threading machine.
- Mounts pipe hangers and brackets on walls and ceiling to hold pipe.
- Assembles and installs a variety of metal or nonmetal pipes and pipe fittings, using threaded, soldered, brazed, fused, or welded joints.
- Secures pipes to structure with bracket, clamps, and hangers, using hand and power tools.
- Installs refrigeration and air conditioning systems, including pumps, cooling towers, air handlers, and hydronic and piping,
- Tests piping systems for leaks by increasing pressure in pipes and observing gauges attached to pipes for indication of leaks.
- Welds pipe supports to structural steel members.
- Loads, transports and unloads material, tools, equipment and supplies.
- Assists in lifting, positioning and securing of material and work pieces during installation.
- Performs minor maintenance of cleaning activities of tools and equipment.
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and project rules.
- Uses respiratory protection when required.
- Responsible for all other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of two (2) years Pipefitter experience required.
- Must have working knowledge of all trade materials and tools.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Must be self-motivated and a great communicator.
- Ability to communicate professionally at all levels of the organization and with external contacts.
- Must be able to work nights and weekends.
- Must pass criminal background check and random drug screens.
- Good driving record preferred.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
EDUCATION/TRAINING: OSHA 10 Certification required.
- Must comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Accountable for safety and health and are empowered to stop work if an unsafe condition is present. Employees should immediately notify their supervisor so that the hazard may be corrected.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work outside, inside, and in dusty, noisy and hazardous areas. Work in high places, tight places, confined spaces and/or other adverse locations. Climb, balance, squat, kneel and crouch. Work in all types of weather. Ability to lift and carry 51 to 75 lbs. occasionally, and/or 31 to 45 lbs. of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 16 to 22 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the person assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the person. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.